Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop-Tarts. What could possibly go wrong?

Disclaimer

In all fairness, I have to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of cookie dough flavored anything. If you see me at the ice cream shop, I'm probably not holding 2 scoops of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. That being said, I wasn't all that excited about trying these. In fact, the only reason I chose to review these was because my fiancé suggested it. Nevertheless, I really wanted to give this flavor a fair chance.

Come on. How bad could it be?

I like cookies, I love Pop-Tarts, how bad could it be? The answer, not really that bad. Unfortunately, they're not really that good either. They start out great as it appears they have the same frosting as the S'mores with a white swirl. Can't go wrong there, right? The outer crust is the typical vanilla Pop-Tarts crust which is also pretty darn good. Then we get to the cookie dough filling.

It's what's on the inside that counts...

I was really expecting this filling to be overly sweet. To my surprise, it wasn't quite a sweet as expected. As you can see from the picture, it looks just like chocolate chip cookie dough. There are even little chocolate flecks throughout. To its credit, the cookie dough filling tastes just like raw cookie dough. For me though, this wasn't really a plus. By the time I finished two of them, I actually felt a little ill. This wasn't just because my stomach wasn't feeling great that particular morning as I tried them several times both toasted and untoasted. To be fair, I wasn’t actually ill after eating them. Something just didn’t feel right. I guess it was mostly the thought or feeling of eating too much raw cookie dough.

Give it to me straight Doc...

The filling tastes so much like raw cookie dough that I'm thinking of dissecting a few, extracting the filling and baking it, just to see if I end up with an actual cookie. Although, I already have a pretty good idea on how that will turn out. Bottom line, if you love eating raw cookie dough, you'll love Cookie Dough Pop-Tarts. As for me, I'll stick to the cooked stuff and other Pop-Tart varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment