Thursday, May 21, 2009

From Vienna to your Kitchen, It's Apple Strudel Pop-Tarts!

You say apfel. I say apple.

Apfelstrudle is a traditional apple filled Austrian pastry that gained popularity in the 18th century. However, the oldest known recipe dates all the way back to the year 1696. And now, a mere 310 years later, Apple Strudel Pop-Tarts have arrived!

The new kid on the block.

I'm not going to waste anyone's time describing apple strudel. You don't need to be Mozart to appreciate what good apple strudel is all about. Let's get right to the point and see how the new guy stacks up. The first thing I noticed was that I could smell apple the second I opened the package. Good start, right? I suppose you would expect them to smell like apple but on the other hand, I've never opened a package of Strawberry Frosted and said, "Wow, smell those strawberries." Second point of interest is the unique topping. This is not your average Pop-Tart frosting. It's actually a pretty tasty combination of sugary crumbles and drizzled white frosting. This gives them a sugar glazed look that is prevalent in a lot of modern strudel recipes. Finally, they taste fantastic. What else can I say? Do all the historical ties, fruity smells and fancy toppings really matter it they don't taste good? You're not buying a bowl of potpourri here!

Heat them up then cool them down.

Toast or warm the Apple Strudel Pop-Tarts in the microwave and server them with vanilla ice cream. I can't be any clearer than that. Just try it. I'm not heading to Austria any time soon and I bet you're not either. (If you are, thanks for reading my blog "Baron".) The nice thing is you don't have to. These Pop-Tarts give you a little taste of Vienna in your kitchen for under 3 bucks a box!

No comments:

Post a Comment